1.1 Background to the Study:
In modern educational practice, the effective use of educational media resources is recognized as a crucial aspect of teacher preparation. While traditional effectiveness relied on subject knowledge, organization, and presentation skills, contemporary education places significant emphasis on leveraging various educational media resources. Government, as a social science subject taught in secondary schools, has evolved to utilize educational technologies such as computers, research approaches, statistics, and other scientific methods.
Government, in its interdisciplinary perspective, draws from multiple subjects like mathematics, geography, economics, psychology, sociology, and philosophy. However, despite these advancements, the objectives of government education face challenges due to poor teaching and the lack of educational media resources. These resources are considered essential tools to enhance teacher effectiveness and improve students' performance.
Educational media, a broad term often used interchangeably with instructional media, educational design, or educational technology, encompasses technologies like computer programs, films, video-editing programs, word processing equipment, and calculating instruments. These tools are employed for teaching and enhancing learning outcomes. Educational media includes channels such as powerpoints, slides, video tapes, diagrams, printed materials, and computer software, all serving instructional purposes.
The purpose of educational media is to facilitate communication and enhance teaching-learning effectiveness. Various types of educational media, such as visual, audio, and audio-visual media, as well as realia, can be adopted by government teachers to make the teaching-learning process more effective at the secondary school level.
1.2 Statement of the Problems:
The primary problems addressed in this study revolve around the inadequacy and non-utilization of educational media resources, leading to teacher ineffectiveness and poor student performance in government education. The challenges identified include:
- Lack of Proper Teaching Methods: Students often fail in examinations due to improper teaching methods and the absence of essential aids for instructional delivery.
- Teacher Ineffectiveness: There is a concern about the effectiveness of teachers in Eket Local Government, particularly in teaching government. Stakeholders have observed a correlation between the lack of educational media resources and teacher ineffectiveness.
- Poor Performance of Students: The inadequacy and non-utilization of educational media resources are believed to contribute significantly to the poor performance of students in government education in schools within Eket Local Government Area.
This study aims to investigate and provide insights into how educational media resources influence teacher effectiveness in teaching government in secondary schools in Eket Local Government Area, Akwa Ibom State.
Top of Form
Bottom of Form
1.1 Purpose of the Study
The purpose of this study is to investigate the influence of educational media resources on teacher effectiveness in teaching government in Eket Local Government Area.
Specifically, the study intends to achieve the following objectives:
- To examine the extent to which utilization of realia influence the teaching of government in secondary schools in Eket Local Government Area
- To find out the extent to which the use of audio educational media influence the teaching of government in secondary schools in Eket local Government Area.
- To determine the extent to which the use of visual educational media influence the teaching of government in secondary schools in Eket Local Government Area.
- To examine the extent which the utilization of audio-visual educational media influence the teaching of government in Eket Local Government Area.
1.2 Research Questions
- To what extent does utilization of realia educational media influence the teaching of Government in Secondary Schools in Eket Local Government Area?
- To what extent does utilization of audio-educational media influence the teaching of government?
- To what extent does utilization of visual educational media influence the teaching of government?
- To what extent does utilization of audio-visual educational media influence the teaching of Government in Secondary Schools in Eket Local Government Area?
1.3 Research Hypothesis
- There is no significant influence in the utilization of media resources on the teaching of Government in secondary schools in Eket Local Government Area.
1.6 Significance of the Study
The study will be beneficial to Government teachers, students, researchers, Government and school administrators.
- Teachers: The finding shall guide Government teachers on the need to use suitable and appropriate educational media resources for effective teaching.
- Students: The students shall gain immensely and improve academically when they are taught using educational media resources.
- Researchers: The study shall be useful to other researchers who will like to carry out research on educational media resources and teachers’ effectiveness in Secondary schools.
- Government and school administrators: It serves as a guide to government and school administrators on the appropriate types of educational media resources to procure for effective teaching and learning of Government in secondary schools.
1.7 Delimitation of the Study
This study is limited to the examination of educational media resources and teacher effectiveness in the teaching government in Eket local Government Area only. Another major factor militating against this, study is the financial constraint due to economic recession in Nigeria. Therefore ten (10) secondary schools will be sampled out of eleven (11).
1.8 Definition of Terms
Educational Media: This refers to all forms of instructional technology tools, the teacher selected and used in teaching-learning process Government. The term ‘government’ refers to a subject taught in senior secondary school, like any other subjects. It is a process and art of governing which involves the ways, methods, system of ruling the people, through which the activities of governance is carried out.
Visual Media: This refers to instructional tools the teacher used for learners to see the reality of what is being taught to them.
Audio Media: This refers to the various educational means that can make human voice and other sounds into more powerful form of information, communication and education.
Audio-Visual Media: This refers to educational media directed at both the senses of hearing, and the senses of sight, used in classroom to enhance instruction by the teacher.
Realia: Means real things, objects, such as coins, tools, plants, animals, or collection of artefacts that teachers can bring into the classroom to illustrate the meaning of the teaching materials to be more clearly, meaningful and memorable.