STAFF TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT AS A TOOL FOR ACHIEVING ORGANIZATIONAL OBJECTIVES
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The human resources are the most dynamic of all the organization’s resources of all the organization’s resources. They need considerable attention from the organization’s management; if they are to realize their full potential in their work. Thus motivation, leadership, communication work restructuring, payment systems and training and development may be included in the issue which has to be faced by management today. Most of these issues will be considered in this research work, but now it is time to consider the role of training and development activities in the organization. Because of the changing nature of business environment due to modern technology, workers need to adapt themselves to this new technology so, the need for effective training and development ought to be seriously emphasized which will create an impartation of new skill, knowledge etc. that an individual worker will need in other to lead to greater productivity and higher performance, where there is training and development in an organization. It helps the organization in achieving its goal and objectives. ]
Training and development however are matters for individual organization to sort out the rest of this research look at how organizations set about meeting their training ad development needs.
FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA IN BRIEF
First bank of Nigeria Plc for over a century has distinguished itself as a leading financial institution. The bank was incorporated as a limited liability company on March 31 1894, with Head office in Liverpool by Sir Alfred Jones, a shipping magnate in it early years of operations the bank recorded an impressive growth and worked closely with the colonial government.
To justify its West Africa coverage a branch was opened in Accra, Ghana in 1876 and in free town, Sierra Leone in 1898. The second branch of the bank in Nigeria was in the old Calabar in 1900 and two years later services were extended to their Northern Nigeria. In 1957, it changed it names from Bank of British West Africa to Bank of West Africa. In 1969, the bank was incorporated locally as Standard Bank of Nigeria Limited in line with the companies decree of 1968. Changes in the bank also occurred in 1979 and 1991, to First Bank of Nigeria Limited and First Bank of Nigeria Plc, Respectively. In 1985, the bank introduced a decentralized structure with five regional administrations. To further enhance the bank’s operational efficiency, this was reconfigured into sixteen area offices in 2003. In view of the foregoing, it was therefore, a natural progression when 2001, the bank began the process of transforming its corporate identity reflects it rejuvenated focus the bank expanding skill base has been extended by a range of training provided by a range of training provided to its employees whose opportunity for career development within the bank have thus been enhanced. Training is carried out at various levels through both in – house and external courses.
- STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Most organizations has problems in one way of the other and first bank Plc is not an Exception one of these problems encountered is that, workers are not motivated to work so as to put in their best for the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization. This is due to the fact that most of these workers are not being trained and developed, as they ought to be.
Training and development is very important because it removes deficiencies of employees in an organization. If training is properly done, the organization will achieve its aims and objectives. However, major interest to this study is staff training and development as important tools for achieving an organization’s Objectives.
- AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The rational behind this research is to undertake an intensive investigation into staff training and development with a particular reference to the banking sector in Nigeria and the problems facing the sector on the subject matter, with a view to offer solution as to how these problems should be solved.
It is the aim of the research is to see how effectively the banking sector utilizes training and development strategies in achieving its goals and objectives. Among other aims and objectives of this study are:
- To improve the quality of work performance of employees
- To reduce labour turnover, absenteeism and wastages.
- To know the essence of training and development of employees in organization
Finally, the data collected by the researcher of this research will be analyzed in a more simplified manner and all the technical items will as much as possible avoided and where they are unavoidable, it must be explained within this research work, so that even a lay – man can understand and benefit from this research work.
- RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
Kerlinger (1973) defines hypothesis as “conjectural” statement of the relation between two or more variables” this research sets out to test hypothesis on staff training and development as important tools for achieving an organization’s objectives the following are the hypothesis which the researcher have in mind.
Ho: Staff Training and development have no impact on achieving an organization’s goals or objectives
Hi: Staff training and development have impact on achieving an organization’s goals or objectives.
- SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of this study lies in the benefit that the findings would provide to many individuals, groups and organization a very good source of literature review material for any study relevant to the topic.
Secondly, organization, especially those that are of the banking sector will certainly find this project very useful in understanding the nature of training and development and its relevance to the employees.
Lastly, it is also believed that the study will be of benefit to the reader who like to have better knowledge of training and
development of employees how to harness and reactivate these tools towards meeting the challenges facing the banking sector and the world new economic order at the moment.
- SCOPE OF THE STUDY
Although this project is attempting to review staff training and development as important tools for achieving an organization’s objectives: but in the course of writing, the research will cover First Bank Nigeria Plc Kaduna. The management and other levels of workers are considered as population for this study. The study will also be limited to library review of relevant literatures and based on collections of documents, books, projects, speeches and other facts through the media.
- LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
The research have some limitations like other research studies. Some of the limitations encountered are as follows:
- One of the chief limitation of the study is inadequate resources (Finance) to conduct a satisfactory and detailed study of an organization on their training development policies in the organization.
- Staff of the organization who are in good position to assist in the acquisition of data, will not be willing to give information or data on the basis of security. So, much was not disclosed by them
- Also difficulty was experienced in getting material like textbooks that will also give relevant information to the researcher.
- The time frame in which this research work is to be completed has placed a barrier to how far the researcher can go into sourcing for information.
- The school being an academic environment gathering of information was not an easy task considering number of books in the library, couple with other academic activities which must be taken into consideration.
- DEFINITION OF KEY TERM
- TRAINING: This usually implies preparation for an occupation or for a specific skill; it is narrower in conception than either education or development. It is also defined as an organized process by Which Skill and Knowledge are learnt for specified purposes.
- Development: Thus usually suggest a broader view of knowledge and skills acquisition than training. It is concerned more with employee potential than with immediate skill.
- Organizations: Organization is intricate human strategies designed to achieve certain objectives (Argyris 1960). It is also defined as system of interdependent human being (Pugh 1971).
- Staff (Employees): These are group of people working together under a manager or a head. Staff can also be seen as persons employed in any work place.
- Training Needs: This is deficiency in skill, knowledge or experience that requires to be taught to enable an employee performs a particular job or task to the required standard.
- On the Job Training: Is the training program that is given to worker as he is performing the job
- Off the Job Training: This is the training programme that is given to an employee outside the organization.
- Banking Sector: It is a financial institution established for keeping money and valued safely, the money being paid out on the customer’s order
- Career Development: Career development is individual’s perceived sequence of attitude and behaviours associated with work related experience and activities over the span of the persons work life.