Android is the leading mobile operating system worldwide. Android became the leading mobile Operating System since 2011; almost 220 million smartphones running Android were sold. This figure grew to 1.2 billion in 2015. The basic idea behind the project is to implement a money transactions system built on android, this application will be a smart and secure way to carrying out banking transactions without the long bank queues or ATM or credit cards.
Android users are globally increasing every day and applications running on android platform are becoming an integral of IT within businesses as well as many homes. A vast market has been developed on android, from apps that carry out shopping activities, to online purchasing and banking have been by-products of this growth. Many businesses have been quick to recognize and exploit the niche. The range product on-line is virtually inexhaustible and puts android application at the top of the list of convenience good. In this rapidly evolving modern society of which we are all a part, convenience has become crucial to survive the ever increasing pace of life. In particular, e-banking, one of the IT applications with the highest impact upon the global economy, is creating a new business environment for bank customers to carry out transactions like fund transfer seamlessly. As a growing number of companies launch new Internet-based business lines, many of the new technology advances occur as a result of their using the android applications to improve business processes. E-banking has revolutionized the banking sector in a way unprecedented in past centuries. It has fostered a new set of economic and social relationships between customers and banks, the structure of the Nigerian financial services industry changed drastically with the introduction of android applications, bringing about significant changes in the market. Within the context of current developments and with increased breadth and depth of competition, the task of identifying the unique characteristics that will enable any bank outperform its peers is becoming more challenging. The industry is now characterized by the following interesting dynamics, a critical use of an android app to develop and experiment funds transfer between bank customers and will help the development of e-banking. It is not technology by itself that makes or breaks an Internet venture, but the underlying innovation and adequacy of the adopted business approach. IT and e-banking have now become the key elements for strengthening the competitiveness of the national economy and improving the productivity and efficiency of both private and government banks. Transaction is a part and parcel of our life. Financial transactions involving money have been subjected to many changes in the long run. It has migrated from direct cash transfer to online payments. Automated Teller Machine (ATM) has been widely used for money withdrawal whereas money deposit is done using Cash Deposit Machine (CDM). Online banking/ shopping is easily done through the use of credit/debit cards. Technology has advanced further and mobile banking is the buzzword today.
Nowadays, almost everyone has a smartphone. We never forget to carry our smartphone even though we forget our credit cards or ATM cards. With the android Fund transfer system android users can now find an easy and efficient way to transfer money. Using this application, the user can do any type of payment such as for shopping, taxi service, local store etc. The main advantage of this application is that user does not have to carry his credit or debit card anymore.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
There are several problems, such as long queue of bank customers trying to deposit money for their business transactions, loss of ATM card for ATM transfer and also long queue on ATM machines every day. This system will help solve the problems of those bank customers using android devices that want to transfer funds for their daily activities between their banks, inter-bank and carry out other banking transactions from the comfort of their homes and offices without having to visit the bank.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF STUDY
The main objective of the paper is to design and implement an Online Android Electronic Fund Transfer System. The Android Fund transfer system focuses precisely on the following objectives:
- Android users can easily transfer funds for business purposes without having to visit the bank.
- Reduce queues at the banks and also at the ATM points across the banks.
- Improve e-banking among banks customers and increase bank revenue in e-banking charges.
SCREEN SHOTS OF THE APPLICATION
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of this study is to build an android application, a platform to aid people with transferring of funds from one bank to another easily without any stress.
1.5 DEFINITION OF TERMS
- Android - Android is a mobile operating system developed by Google, based on a modified version of the Linux kernel and other open source software and designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices.
- Application - An application software (app or application for short) is computer software designed to perform a group of coordinated functions, tasks, or activities for the benefit of the user.
- E-banking - is an electronic payment system that enables customers of a bank or other financial institution to conduct a range of financial transactions through the financial institutions through the internet.
- Bank - A bank is a financial institution that accepts deposits from the public and creates credit.
- Deposits - A deposit account is a savings account, current account or any other type of bank account that allows money to be deposited and withdrawn by the account holder.
- ATM – Automated Teller Machine.
- Smartphone - A smartphone is a handheld personal computer. It possesses extensive computing capabilities, including high-speed access to the Internet.