RELEVANCE O STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT IN A COMPETITIVE BANKING ENVIRONMENT (A CASE STUDY OF UBA OSOGBO)
1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The history of UBA can be traced to British and French Limited, which originated from BANOGE NATIONAL four Le Commerce etc industries (established in 1832).
Early in 1949, Messer E.E Hunger Buler and C. H. Baker were seconded from Banyae National Pour le Commerce etc industries (established in 1932).
Early in 1949, Messer E. E Hunger Buler and C. H. Baker were seconded from Banyae National pours i.e. commerce etc industries (BNCL) to Lagos, where they were assigned to make initial arrangement for the setting up of the British and French Bank.
In May 1949, the British and French Bank operation in Nigeria at broad street, Lagos which today house apart of Kingsway store complex of February 23rd 1961, its registered office was at 127129 board street Lagos. Mr. F De lajugie was the first general manager with its establishment UBA became the first bank among the international bank operating in Nigeria at the time to be over #4 million. The following United Bank for Africa annual report 1980 pagel were:
The British and French bank
Bank nationals del lavaso of study
Monte, de paschi di siena of study
Bankers trust of new York USA
Amstardem Rotherdown Bank at Holland
The bank has grown from its initial one office
Structure in 1961 to 2001 as early 1995, the banks paid up capital has risen to #120 million
1.1 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
a. To reduce uncertainty in decision making as far as possible by anticipating and planning for future events.
b. to make management move in a systematic way and form a long term perspective, about concerns and short term decisions.
c. To ensure that the external environment and trends in it are monitored for potential opportunities and threats.
d. To provide a mechanism for systematic appraisal of the internal strengths and weakness of the organization.
e. To provide a framework against which raw ideals for business development can be checked.
f. To element in learning and motivation, anabling individuals to appreciate the role gauge than progress and evaluate the exact to which their effort and energy is being constructively spent.
g. To organization need a yardsticks against which success or lack of it can be measured (if doesn’t know where its going or won’t know its arrival)
h. To help management to predict organization behaviour to some extent.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The problem include
- A low growth of out put
- A persistent depreciation of naira exchange rate and its inflatimary effort on prices.
- High rate of unemployment
- Excessive of high borrowing rate which discourage productive investment
- Reduction activities in the manufacturing sector.
1.3 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The main significance of the study is to examine the United Banks for Africa Plc carries out the strategies management in this area of deregulation. This research aims to describe and assess the following.
- The extent to which the banks engaged in strategic planning
- The opportunities and threats traced by the banks
- The factor militating against its competitiveness.
The study shall also take a look at the internal structure at the bank with particular reference to:
- The decision making and planning process
- The operational strength and weakness
Finally, the study tries to proffer solution ton problems being encountered and recommended alternative strategies.
1.4 DELIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The research work which is on strategies management in competitive banking environment requires geographically wide spread and large population in view of the study to the banking environment in Osun State and with special emphasis to the strategic management of UBA Plc Osogbo, as it is possible to visit all the banks in Osun State talk less of that of the whole federation.
1.5 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The following limitation must be acknowledged as a great constraints to the study.
- Financial constraints. The economic situation in the country couple with the ever increasing in cost of materials services and other incidental cost imputed. Inputed into this research work made it difficult for the research to be carried out satisfaction.
- Strike action usually embarked upon in the academic environment by academic or non academic alike do create overlap among the academic calendar and bulk of academic work being lump together with other campus activities, thereby not creating enough time chance should be given to student to operate on their research work by the student, the government school and existing in academic activities in campus in that more rooms would be created for research project by the final year students.
1.6 DEFINITION OF TERMS
a. Planning is deciding what to do it, when to do it, and what to do it controlling coordinating organizing to achier the goals and objective
b. Corporate Appraisal are part of a complex process whereby organization set objectives for them selves and plan how to meet them in a sysmatic fashion.
c. Objectives are those which are concerted with the goals work the organization as a whole.
d. Management thus has come to be called human resources management and embraces the personnel functions of man power planning and resources recruitment retention, development and control labour turnover.