FACTORS THAT LEAD TO STUDENTS POOR PERFORMANLE IN PRINCIPLES OF ACCOUNTS IN POST PRIMARY INSTITUTION (A CASE STUDY IN ENUGU SOUTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT)
This study aims at investigating the factors that head to students poor performance in principles of account in post primary institution in Enugu South Local Government. It is not intended to contradict all papers or disapprove any already on this particular topic or similar topic but will serve as a supple monetary work to those one.
In spite of the obvious need for this subject (Account) in such a growing economy like ours, students seem to be shying ways from it opinions have widely varied as to the causes.
In view of the above, the investigator saw the need to fund out if there had been relative poor performance in the subject, and the factors that actually head to poor performance in this subject area.
The major instrument of date collection was as administration on the sample students and teachers from ten school.
- 1. Union Secondary school, Awkunanaw
- 2. Girls Grammar school, Uwani
- 3. Uwani Secondary scholl, Uwani
- 4. Idraw River Girls secondary school, Idraw
- 5. Army Day secondary school, Awkunanaw
- 6. Mary Land Secondary school, Mary Land
- 7. College of immaculate conception C.I.C, Uwani
- 8. Queens secondary school, New Lay-out
- 9. Urban Girls secondary school, Ogui
- 10. Metropolitan secondary school Ogui New Lay-Out
The questionnaire was also administered on the accounts teachers.
The study revealed among other things that:
1) Students performance in Accounts have been relatively low
2) Students tend to find Account difficult and more so, when they lack good background
3) There seems not to be adequate number of teachers teaching Accounts in Enugu South Local government area.
4) Lack of appropriate instructional materials lack of constant practice by student perhaps, because not adequately maturated by thee teacher, text book and irregularity in the supply of teachers, are some of the other factors by the study.
5) Some teachers do not know how to inculcate, how to teach, how to impact knowledge they have been trained for into the students